Learn About Homeownership:
Few decisions are more important than how to pay for or maintain your home. Question Big can help you stay smart and avoid mistakes.
A Curious User
2 years ago
My husband died from a service connected disability and I'm currently looking to purchase a home. I want to know if I am eligible to use his VA home loan benefits.
Answer this question:

Please log in to submit an answer.

Best Expert Answer
Eric Campbell
2 years ago
Yes, absolutely or at least you should be eligible if he had his VA entitlement. We would order his certificate of eligibility (COE) and verify the service connected death with the Regional Loan Center (RLC). Any supporting docs you have are helpful to verify this.
BBMC Mortgage
We are your national home buying specialists and will find you the best loan at the best rate.
Visit our website
Best Expert
More Answers:
Category Expert
Joe Wallace
2 years ago
The VA official site (VA.gov) states:

"After establishing that you are eligible, you will need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). The COE verifies to the lender that you are eligible for a VA-backed loan. This page describes the evidence you submit to verify your eligibility for a VA home loan and how to submit the evidence and obtain a COE."

Evidence you would need to submit to the VA depends on whether or not you are receiving VA benefits for surviving spouses as described below:

Surviving spouses receiving DIC (Dependency & Indemnity Compensation) benefits should submit VA form 26-1817 and veteran’s DD214 ( if available).

Include the veteran and surviving spouse’s social security number on the 26-1817 form.

Surviving spouses who are not receiving DIC must submit, according to the VA official site, the following to the appropriate Compensation and Pension office:

- VA form 21-534
- DD214 (if available)
- Marriage License
- Death Certificate or DD Form 1300 – Report of Casualty
- Please find the mailing address for your state to send the VA 21-534 at the VA official site at:


You will find this link under the heading, "If you are a Surviving Spouse and are not receiving DIC (Dependency & Indemnity Compensation) benefits".
Our blog is brought to you by the knowledgeable group of counselors at FHA.com
Visit our website
Category Expert
Chris Birk
2 years ago
As a surviving spouse, you would also be exempt from paying the VA Funding Fee, a cost that goes directly to the VA to help keep this loan program running. As Eric mentioned, a VA lender would be able to walk you through this process. Getting the Certificate of Eligibility would be a key early step. Only the VA can make a determination regarding a prospective borrower's eligibility.
Veterans United
Veterans United Home Loans is the nation's largest dedicated provider of VA Loans.
Visit our website
Ask a Question

Choose up to 5 tags (e.g. FHA loan). We'll recommend some, but you can change them if you want.
Thank you!
Please check the email address you registered with for your account confirmation. Then click the activation link to get started.
Question Big is a community of consumers and professionals sharing experiences, knowledge and advice.
Report Content
I'm reporting this because I think it is:
Report User
I'm reporting this user because I think the user is:
Report Company
I'm reporting this company because I think the company is:
Thank you!
Our team will review the content you reported and will take appropriate actions. We appreciate your contribution to the Question Big community.